Rudolph en Liesl du Toit

Votes: 3

Rudolph en Liesl du Toit

Votes: 3

Before
After

Name:Rudolph en Liesl
Surname:du Toit
Location:Centurion, Gauteng
Entry Date:June 6, 2018
Category:Kitchen
Budget Breakdown:
Materials:
Item Cost
Kitchen wall unit @ R650 each 1300
Microwave wall unit 350
Subway Tiles @ Tile Africa 2300
Tile cement and grout (Dove grey) 150
Frames (Cut and Edge Centurion) 1190
Glue (2l Ponal) 240
Paint and Body putty (Auto paint centre Centurion) 850
Handles (Gelmar) 330
6710
Contractors:
Item Cost
Tiler 1700
Cutting of Marble top 500
Electrician (move stove) 1000
3200
Grand Total R9910
Diy jobs:
Item
Gluing new frames on old cupboard doors
Body putty and sanding kitchen cupboards doors
Spray painting kitchen cupboards doors
Remove & reinstalling marble tops
Installing & and painting new kitchen wall units
Moving old kitchen cupboards
About the Project:

My husband and I recently started renovating our new home in Hennopspark, Centurion. It is my husband’s childhood home; what a privilege. With BIG ideas and a SMALL budget we set out for phase 1 of our home renovation; the kitchen we are especially proud of our DIY kitchen cupboard spray-painting job! This is our… Read More

My husband and I recently started renovating our new home in Hennopspark, Centurion. It is my husband’s childhood home; what a privilege.

With BIG ideas and a SMALL budget we set out for phase 1 of our home renovation; the kitchen we are especially proud of our DIY kitchen cupboard spray-painting job!

This is our third time renovating. We have learned to use what we is available to us in the most effective ways possible. Although the kitchen cupboards were still in good condition and could be re-purposed our main challenge was choosing tiles and a paint color that would complement the existing marble top which we definitely couldn’t afford to replace.

In addition to removing two middle cupboards to make space for our gas stove that made the move along with us from our previous home, we also moved some of the ‘top’ cupboards to above the kitchen sink.

The spray painting…

My husband wanted a very durable finish. He decided to use spray paint used to paint cars! We were able to borrow a good quality spray gun from a family member. The paint was relatively easy to use, the hardener is added to the paint as per instructions.

After gluing the new frames to the doors we used body putty to get a perfect finish. The body putty is a very tricky product… it took MANY trail and error runs. We repeated puttying, sanding, puttying, sanding each door… there are 17 doors, it felt like madness!

Honestly we underestimated the job… it took weeks of working over weekends with two little girls ‘helping’, but it was definitely worth it.

Click on the image below to enlarge it and use the arrows to scroll to the next picture.

Click on the image below to enlarge it and use the arrows to scroll to the next picture.

Voting is now closed. Look out for our Top 5 in the November issue – on shelf 15 October 2018.