|Electrical wires and plugs||700|
|All electrical work (installing new plugs and new lights)|
|Painting of whole kitchen|
|Painting of fridge|
About the Project:
Me and my husband moved to Johannesburg in December 2017 from Potchefstroom and bought our first “real” house as husband and wife. The moment we sat foot onto the property an instant love affair ensued. We immediately saw that there is a lot of work needed on the property but we realized the potential the…
Me and my husband moved to Johannesburg in December 2017 from Potchefstroom and bought our first “real” house as husband and wife. The moment we sat foot onto the property an instant love affair ensued. We immediately saw that there is a lot of work needed on the property but we realized the potential the property held and then all the work started…
The house is on a koppie with amazing views of the N1 and surrounding suburbs. The kitchen had small dated steel windows and I immediately told my husband that I want to break out the windows and replace them with big windows in order to maximize the amazing views.
Now a quick summary of our renovation journey:
I am a big fan of Moroccan detail and décor and this was the inspiration behind the renovations of the makeover.
1. First and foremost was to improve our view and we decided on white aluminium windows that we had custom made. These windows gave a more modern feel to the kitchen and thereby also improving and utilising the amazing view out of the kitchen. We used a private contractor for the installation of the windows.
2. My love affair with Moroccan detail and décor started when I laid my eyes on the blue and white tiles and instantly knew that these tiles will be used as backsplash. The same private contractor was used for the tiling.
3. I was uncertain of the colour scheme that I wanted to paint the kitchen but after coming across the book “Color Bible” my interest was immediately sparked and I started playing with different colour combinations (because who wants boring neutral colours??). I used the Dulux app to see what effect different colours would have and eventually settled on a deep rich ocean blue to light up my walls. I then took a huge gamble with a complimentary colour and painted the two support beams a subtle yellow.
4. I also gave new life to the pantry door and painted it with black board paint, as I love to write witty quotes thereon from time to time.
5. The industrial lights we received as a gift. It was previously used in a local shopping market and after renovations in the shopping market the lights where not needed there anymore. I am a big lover of hand me downs and these lights were given new life in my kitchen at a fraction of the cost.
6. We received our refrigerator as a hand me down from my in-laws and I instantly decided to paint it a popping red just to lift the whole feeling of the kitchen
As you can see the kitchen is a product of me and my husband’s hard work over a number of weekends. We really enjoyed these renovations and the possibilities are endless for the rest of the house and our next tasks.