Beni Arnoldi

Votes: 0

Beni Arnoldi

Votes: 0

Before
After

Name:Beni
Surname:Arnoldi
Location:Beaufort West, Western Cape
Entry Date:May 8, 2018
Category:Entire home
Budget Breakdown:
Materials:
Item Cost
PAINT: paint, varnish,paintbrushes, concrete sealers, adhesives and fillers 21570.48
BUILDING:cement,cretestone,basecoats and tiles 15497.48
ROCKS:I decided not to buy any bricks and built with rocks from the farm 0.00
WOODWORK:I.S.O. Board for ceiling,screws,nails,sanding discs,glue, hinges etc. (All window frames, shutters and verandah structures) 12329.80
WOOD:All wood and beams used from wood I had except I.S.O. Board for flat's ceiling 0.00
ELECTRICAL:wiring,fittings,plugs and switches etc. 6635.03
KITCHENS/BATHROOMS:taps, fittings,shower panels,toilet and basins etc. 19631.86
GEYSERS:salvaged two old geysers from my brother's renovation project 0.00
75664.65
Contractors:
Item Cost
Fonno and Danie: two local farmbuilders (concrete floors of living area and bathroom of house section) 7 days work 2310
Paul Botha Plumbing: Plumbing of only bathroom and kitchen basin of house 4600.00
6910
Grand Total R82574.65
Diy jobs:
Item
Own building of wall in flat to seperate the bathroom. Built with stone.
Plastering of walls with cement and cretestone.
Cutting out, laying of conduits and electrical wiring
Plumbing for the flats bathroom and kitchen
Made all the windows from scratch
Sanded the ceiling of the entire house with a grinder and backing pad
Sanded and treated all the woodwork
Sealed all the rock and concrete/cement work with sealers and all the painting in and outside
Erected the verandah of both house and flat
About the Project:

This Karoo-style farmstead (circa 1858) with attached garage (added in the 1940s) had stood empty for the past 60 years. It had four bedrooms, but I changed one into the bathroom and used the garage as a private en-suite room with its own entrance and courtyard. I knocked down the small kitchen and separate pantry… Read More

This Karoo-style farmstead (circa 1858) with attached garage (added in the 1940s) had stood empty for the past 60 years. It had four bedrooms, but I changed one into the bathroom and used the garage as a private en-suite room with its own entrance and courtyard. I knocked down the small kitchen and separate pantry walls to create an open-plan living space. The outer walls were built with stone and the inner walls with clay. There was no electrical wiring and plumbing and the kitchen consisted only of the hearth. There was also no bathroom or running water as 160 years ago the toilet was a long-drop outside.
I worked on the project for three years and tried to salvage as much of the original woodwork as possible. I also tried to create detail and trimmings out of old farm and household items that I incorporated into the renovation. We salvaged many knobs, hinges, brackets and metal from the scrapyard to keep the budget low. I did all the work myself with help from my permanent farmworker Heine on the tough jobs. For many weeks, farm activities kept me from the renovations and then I had to work hard after hours to stay on track.

Click on the image below to enlarge it and use the arrows to scroll to the next picture.

Click on the image below to enlarge it and use the arrows to scroll to the next picture.

Voting is now closed. Look out for our Top 5 in the November issue – on shelf 15 October 2018.