|laminate floor baords||25000|
|top coat paint||3500|
|Laminate floor installers||7000|
|firplace intaller and buildstep||4000|
|rip up carpet|
|rip up parquett|
|remove all floor and wall nails|
|remove dado rails|
|sand dado rails|
|peel off wall paint|
|bonding liquid walls|
|plaster primer onto walls|
|install shelves and brackets|
|brick up hole in wall|
|breakdown bookshelf unit|
|spray paint chimney pipe|
|spary paint home-made shelf brackets|
|put up new curtain rods|
About the Project:
We fell in love with the idea of buying an old house in Parys, and giving its a facelift to add our own personal flair, and thus we were ecstatic when at the end of 2015 we were fortunate to finally find the perfect home in which to plant our roots. As charming as the…
We fell in love with the idea of buying an old house in Parys, and giving its a facelift to add our own personal flair, and thus we were ecstatic when at the end of 2015 we were fortunate to finally find the perfect home in which to plant our roots.
As charming as the house was, it was in need of a lot of TLC. We decided to start our make-over in the Lounge and Dinning area. We were curious to know what might be lying underneath the old carpet that spanned the entire floor area, and to our surprise we discovered old teak Parquet flooring underneath. This made us very excited and we ripped up the whole carpet immediately. We were horrified to discover that the wooden blocks were in very bad condition, each with 2 or 3 masonary nails hammered through each peace and into the concrete, some blocks were missing and some areas were filled in with rough concrete. The wooden blocks ended at the dinning room, where they transitioned into plain white tiles. That was when we made the decision to rather strip the floor of the blocks and put in a new floor.
We worked on our own for 2 weeks, ripping up every single block of Parquet with a back of a hammer and a screw driver, struggling with those horrible long nails. We were also ripping up the floors in the bedrooms at the same time. Once we decided on the wood laminate that was to our taste and budget, we had the flooring company screed the floor for us and lay the panels.
The walls of the living area were divided in half by old dado rails. We re-purposed those dado rails which we then sanded down with our electric sander and we used them as the skirting boards for the floors.
The walls were painted in 2 different tones, peach above the dado rail and powder blue on the bottom section. We had to make a plan to correct that! The issue was that the paint was very old and was lifting in some areas. It was also an oil based paint that could not just have a new coat slapped on without using the correct primers first. After some advice from our local paint store we both set ourselves to work! We used sugar soap to scrub down the walls and then wipe them clean. We then painted 2-3 coats of bonding liquid to prepare the surface, before finally applying an undercoat of paint, and then 2 coats of our chosen colours . We opted for the Quartz Flint range from Dulux, alternating between the lightest 2 colours on each alternate wall. The parts of walls that were flaking (including the entire wall around the window) had to be scraped (and scraped and scraped and scraped), to get rid of all the old lifting paint. We then sanded the rough edges and plastered the holes, and voila! Our surface was ready to undergo the same treatment as the other walls. With all the plaster work we did we had to use a plaster primer before applying the paint.
When we started the makeover, we had to break down the old bookshelf and old fire place unit that was separating the lounge from the dinning area. This was made from wood, tiles and cement. Our idea was to use the existing fire place, and insert a closed-combustion fireplace into the wall. This wall was going to be our focal point of the entire living area. But another hiccough! We discovered the chimney was built completely skew and had been sealed, and the previous owner had never even used the fireplace at all due to this dilemma. This is when we got a local handyman to advise us and help us with the installation of a new fire place.
The conclusion was to buy a free standing closed combustion system, that would stand on-top of a small bare concrete step. We decided to rather expose the chimney as opposed to have it go through the wall and outside, as it would provide more heat this way and give it the quality of an old antique pipe stove. The wall itself had a massive square carved out of it from where the previous owners television use to sit, and we had to brick up the gaping hole. The handyman then helped us with building the step and with the instillation of the fireplace. The chimney pipe that was installed was bare steel, so we bought a bottle of Rustoleum Spray paint and strategically sprayed the pipe black.
The wall alongside the fireplace was very bare and we decided to install shelves. We bought a beautiful plank of Murratie wood, which we had cut to size. We then bought flanges, rods and teats from the plumbing shop to use as the brackets, which we sprayed with the leftover black Rustoleum, so it would match our chimney perfectly. After a lot oft rial and errors of positioning the shelves, we finally completed our fire wall focal point.
Our friends and family thought were were mad for taking on such a big project ourselves, but once we were finished just the reward of knowing we did it ourselves, together as a couple, is extremely satisfying and not to mention priceless! We have since then also completed all the bedrooms ourselves (paint, scrape, sweat), have chalk painted our cupboards in the kitchen and have just started removing tiles in the bathroom. Here’s to another year of DIY!